Running your air conditioner in the summer isn’t something that you’ll want to do often if it costs too much money. But you still want to stay cool!
Here’s the thing: an air conditioner that is operating efficiently shouldn’t cost all that much more than usual. But how can you ensure your system’s optimal efficiency?
Our team can help you out here. Not only do we offer top-quality services, but we also know what it takes to get the best performance at the lowest cost from your AC. Here are some tips to help you optimize your AC efficiency and reduce your overall energy use this summer and beyond.
Tips to Help Manage Energy Bills
Keeping our energy bills under control has gotten a lot tougher these days, made much harder due to inflation increasing the cost of things everywhere else. Here are some efficiency tips you can adopt that can help you keep those energy bills under control more easily.
- Adjust your thermostat: Keeping your thermostat to 78°F or higher during the day can help keep you relatively comfortable without causing your air conditioner to suck up extra energy all summer. Remember, your AC is only able to cool your home 20°F below the temperature outside so trying to go below this wastes energy.
- Turn off the lights: If a room is empty, turn off the lights! If there is enough indirect sunlight coming into the room, turn off the light. Keeping lights off in unused rooms helps save a lot of energy throughout the summer.
- Upgrade to higher efficiency bulbs: Speaking of lights, let’s talk lightbulbs. Make sure to upgrade any older lightbulbs you have for higher-efficiency LED lights. These use far less energy and they’re far more effective.
- Change your air filter: A dirty air filter can undermine your HVAC system’s effectiveness and efficiency. Make sure to check and change your system filter every one to three months.
- Shut off computers and other technology at night: Leaving your gaming system or computer in “SLEEP” mode all night may reduce the system’s draw on your energy supply, but it won’t cut it off completely. Shut those systems off at night and when you leave the house.
- Keep vents and air handlers clear: Make sure that vents and/or air handlers in the home are clear of debris, furniture, or other decor. This eases airflow into the rooms of the home and makes it easier for your AC to do its job.
- Schedule maintenance regularly: A well-maintained AC system will operate far more efficiently than one that never gets a tune-up. In fact, yearly maintenance can prevent an energy efficiency loss of up to 5%.
- Get repairs done properly: Last but not least, make sure to schedule air conditioning repairs in Cincinnati, OH promptly and with a professional. The longer AC repair needs go unaddressed, the more likely they are to increase the system’s energy use and cost you more each month while providing less comfort.
Need help getting your energy bills and your home comfort under control? We are here to help.
Schedule your appointment with JM Mechanical Heating & Cooling. We are always F.A.R.E: Fast, Affordable, Reliable, and Easy to work with.